Monday, April 28, 2014

Remembering Rome

1994 was my last year of college. I had been in and out of school FOREVER if you were to talk to my parents. I affectionally call my college years the lost years, because I was looking for myself. Loyola University Chicago was my final shot at college, and I made it work. As a reward for my effort, I saved my last elective for the summer of 1994. I studied Italian at Loyola's Rome Center. Don't ask me anything about Italian, because as I studied it, all my French came back to me.

(Courtesy of Loyola University Chicago)
One of the best parts of my Rome experience was Rinaldo's Cafe. Rinaldo Fiorini and his wife Nella ran a little cafe in the Rome Center. If memory serves their children worked with them. Having breakfast there everyday was pure heaven. Rinaldo made a cappuccino like none other. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say I haven't had one as good since. Of course a romantic memory could be playing tricks with me.

The Fiorini's knew little English, which was fine since I knew little Italian, but somehow we were able to communicate with each other. Rinaldo was the kind of cafe owner who loved to laugh and joke with the customers. In this case, students would crack jokes with him, and in turn, he would give us all a good chuckle.

I remember watching him make the drinks, and I was in awe. This was a master who knew what to do, and how to serve. If a drink wasn't up to his standards, it got tossed, and he started again. He was an artist, and his work was going to be perfection. It tasted like perfection to be sure.

The cafe was small, with a few tables around. I always drank my cappuccino there, and never "to go". I wanted to take in everything. I've had wonderful experiences around the world, but Rinaldo's is one of the best.

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment