Sunday, April 13, 2014

My Mom and Coffee

I was asked last night if putting coffee in the freezer is good for the coffee. I've stated in the past it isn't good for the coffee. Moisture is coffee's enemy(unless you are brewing coffee). The freezer was a storage place for our coffee from Kroger's when I grew up. My mom and dad thought this preserved the coffee. I get it. After all we freeze a good number of things to preserve them, so why not coffee? This post isn't about freezing coffee though, it's about my mom.

We lost my mom to Cancer in 1997. She was so many things to me, and I miss her a great deal. One of the things we shared was a love of coffee. My mom loved a strong cup of coffee, and took it black. Her coffee was so strong, it could get up out the cup, slap you in the face, and tell you where you could go. Now THAT's a strong cup of coffee.

When she and my dad traveled around the world, one of the things they did to judge how good a trip it was, was how good was the coffee. I thought it was odd, still do. Some countries they visited are not known for their coffee(China).

We had a Mr. Coffee and Bunn coffee makers which did just fine for the time. I don't think mom cared about how the coffee was brewed. She just wanted a good cup of coffee. She hated the fact my dad put half and half and sugar in the coffee. She wanted me to drink it black. Her thought was, if the coffee was good it shouldn't need anything else. She and I would disagree on that these days.

I thought about her at CoffeeCon yesterday. I don't think the event would be her thing to attend, but she would sure like to sample the coffee. So this morning, as I try some Big Shoulders Coffee, I raise a cup to my wonderful mom.

Charlie


No comments:

Post a Comment