Thursday, April 24, 2014

Coffee Review: Big Shoulders Coffee Kenya Kalilani

Today we are trying the last of the coffees I got at CoffeeCon Chicago. Oh don't worry, I still have plenty of coffee, we just have been trying each one. This morning I opened Big Shoulders Coffee's Kenya Kalilani.

The first thing I noticed when I opened the bag was the aroma. It smelled very pine like. I've never smelled anything like it in a coffee. To be honest, it made me pause for a moment, as if I didn't want to make the coffee. Why would coffee smell like pine? I quickly went to their website and one of the notes they list is "fresh-cut pine." Ok...good I didn't imagine it. I was a bit dubious though about drinking it. Would it taste like pine?

The coffee doesn't taste like a pine tree. True to what I find with African coffees, this has a very tea-like taste. It's a bright coffee, with some interesting flavors. There is very much a berry flavor, which overpowers the coffee. Big Shoulders says there is a honey note in it. I'm not sure I tasted that, but there was a sweetness I liked.

This is a lighter roast coffee, and it's a very pleasant coffee. I can't say it's a strong coffee, but it is tasty. Coffee Review has scored it a 93 out of 100. That's an impressive score. This is a coffee to ease into the day. I would rate it on the Cher Scale a 1 for strength, it's a love tap of a cup of coffee.

I used the French Press this morning, I have a feeling I will get a different sense when I use the Chemex. Can't wait to try.

I recommend this coffee, and am eager to try more from Big Shoulders.

www.bigshoulderscoffee.com

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment