Saturday, April 19, 2014

Coffee Review: Cup of Excellence 2013 Winner




I learned quite a bit about the Cup of Excellence during the recent CoffeeCon Chicago. As I mentioned this is the Olympics of coffee, where growers from each country compete to see who has the highest quality coffee. As a reminder, the judging starts with 300 farmers, and is eventually whittled down to the top 10. The top 20 get "award" status. The judging is on a 0-100 scale. The closer you are to 100 the better the coffee. Judges sip over 9,000 cups of coffee to determine the best.

While at CoffeeCon, I was given some Cup of Excellence coffee. This was a 2013 award winner from Guatemala. The particular coffee came from Villaure, a farm in the Huehuetenango region of Guatemala. This area is known for it's great coffee.  This coffee placed 20th overall in the competition.

When I opened the bag, it had a nice roasty aroma I love when I open fresh coffee. It's one of those sensations that brings a smile to your face as you're sniffing. I made the coffee in the Chemex. Mark had told me he wanted to try this one next, as we are going through the coffees from CoffeeCon.  So he was looking forward to this coffee.

As I tasted it, I noticed some rich chocolate taste to it. Mark thought there was a nuttiness to the coffee, but I didn't detect it. I thought there was more of a berry like flavor as well. It was a lighter medium roast, not on the dark side at all, but not quite a light roast.

We enjoyed this coffee. It seemed like a robust cup of coffee. Now, because there is the award factor, was it award worthy? I am not judge in any way, shape or form, but of the coffees we have tried this week from CoffeeCon(JJ, Metropolis, Stone Creek), this would rank #4. Keep in mind, all of these coffees are wonderful coffees. I just felt I had better this week.

Still this is a really nice coffee, and it's a great way to start your morning. On our Cher Scale, this is a 7. It's one of those moments Cher shook up Sonny, and told him to wise up.

I encourage you to learn more about the work the Alliance for Coffee Excellence, who runs the Cup of Excellence Program, does. They are striving to improve not only coffee quality, but the lives of those who produce coffee.

http://www.allianceforcoffeeexcellence.org/en/cup-of-excellence/

Charlie



No comments:

Post a Comment