Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Coffee Review: JJ Coffee Roasters Rwandan Kiva Kanza

We brought home quite a haul of coffee from CoffeeCon, and last night we talked about what to brew and try first. I was pretty insistent that I wanted to try the Rwandan Kiva Kanza from JJ Coffee Roasters. This is a coffee they roasted for me, so I wanted it to be the first one I reviewed.

I made the coffee in our Chemex and once it was finished, I gave it two testings. First I tried it just black. Next I put in my usual. This is a really nice coffee. As with many African coffees, there is a tea-like quality to it. I imagine if someone told me they were a tea drinker, I would offer this for them to try to see if they liked it.

This coffee has a brightness to it I enjoy very much. There's nothing heavy about this coffee. Whether or not they planned it, I taste a bit a caramel in the coffee. I'm also getting a very floral sense to it. Again I attribute it to the tea-like nature of the coffee.

Strong? It isn't strong. This is a love tap from Cher. Maybe as she gives Chazz a hug. This coffee is not a wake you up coffee. I could see this being a mid-day coffee, when all you want is a nice gentle cup of coffee.

Jim and Jon roast really nice coffee, and yet again I am loving it. Well done guys! If these two ever grow their roasting into business, you would be smart to invest or be part of it. I think they have a future in the coffee world!

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment