Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Today's Cup of Coffee 5-8-2013

Dark Matter Coffee sounds like some sinister villain in the coffee world. Their website looks like they are leading you into a very dark place. At CoffeeCON, they lured you to their booth with samples of Unicorn Blood. The only thing dark though about Dark Matter Coffee is - their coffee. 

I was torn between the coffees I wanted to bring home. I asked the guy at the booth for a recommendation between a Mexican Chiapas and the Earlybird coffee. He told me that was akin to asking him to choose his favorite child. After a series of questions though, we determined I would try the Earlybird. 

Earlybird, is a seasonal blend of Sulawesi and El Salvadorian coffees. Dark Matter says that the Sulawesi "forms the base of this blend lending a moderate, velvet mouth feel, and sweet grassy aromatics.? The El Salvadorian part, "supplies a subtle vibrance, with flavors akin to paprika and an understated orange zest finish." 

This is a smooth coffee. If you want to ease into the day, this coffee is a good one for you. No face slapping going on with Earlybird. This is a love tap on the face. There is a spiciness to the coffee which lingers with you. Sometimes Indonesian coffees have an earthy quality I don't care for, but this is a bright and clean coffee. I think the blend with the El Salvadorian part gives it more a floral quality. 

I had not heard of Dark Matter prior to CoffeeCON. They will be on my radar now. I did try a bit of the Unicorn Blood. It is their espresso. Now that espresso really slaps your face(a Cher slap). 

You won't be lured into a dark side with this coffee, you will just enjoy it.

www.darkmattercoffee.com

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment