Saturday, May 11, 2013

Today's Cup of Coffee 5-11-2013

This is an odd one to write on. I say odd, because this is a tale of two coffees. The first coffee is one I tried earlier, and before I wrote on it, I wanted to try it again. The second is a very different coffee.

First up - River City Roasters. These folks are based in Yorkville, IL, and I enjoyed their presentation on the AeroPress at CoffeeCON. Mark really enjoyed the coffee they offered, more to the point, he liked the folks who were at the booth. They were a lot of fun. They were nice enough to give us some coffee they had ground for the event. The writing is hard to read, but it looks like Malban.

The first time I made it was in our coffee maker. I'm going to be honest, I didn't care for the coffee. It had an odd taste, I just couldn't put my finger on. This morning we tried it again, this time in the French Press. I don't know if we are making the coffee wrong, or if it is the coffee, but we didn't care for it. The taste was medicine-y. I don't think River City is making bad coffee, and would like the chance to try it again. Perhaps fresher coffee? 

The next coffee was from Cafe Don Angel. This is a Honduran Estate Coffee. These folks were very present at CoffeeCON. They were kind enough to give us different coffees. This one is a shade grown, sun dried, natural process coffee. 

They describe their coffee as nutty and lightly sharp, and sweet. They are truth in advertising. I got all of that in this coffee. I definitely get the sweet and nuttiness of the coffee. Again, we used a French Press for this coffee. 

I have more Cafe Don Angel coffee, and will be talking more about it. For the folks at River City, I want to give you folks another try. 

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment