Thursday, May 23, 2013

Better Latte Than Never

So years ago, when I worked at the cafe in Nashville, when we made lattes and other frothy drinks, the froth had to almost look like meringue. Well those were the 1990s, today it's a whole other story, and I learned that at Day #2 of barista training. 

For a latte or cappuccino, you want a smoother froth. The steamed milk should have a nice consistency which is smoother for the drink. The milk actually tastes sweeter without all the bubbles and frothiness. 

So my day was a combination of pulling espresso shots, to make sure I got that down, and to steam the milk. I actually enjoyed trying to figure out how to do it correctly. I could definitely tell when I had done it wrong. 

Steaming the milk, is a matter of listening, movement, feeling the heat on the pitcher, and an eye to make sure you are timing it with the espresso. No one wants a less than fresh drink.

Now am I ready to make latte art like this ---->

NO! I think my squiggle looked like it was trying to be an onion...not a heart. Still art comes later. The important thing is to make the drink correctly. There is always time to add the flash.

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment