Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Review: Once in a Blue Moon


There is the old saying, "Once in blue moon." That typically means something as rare as a blue moon appearing is going on. In the coffee world, once in a blue moon, is when you find a coffee that tastes like joy in a cup. Blue moon for this review is referring to Hubbard and Cravens Bali Blue Moon Organic.

In the past, the only Indonesian coffee I have had has been Sumatra. I'll be frank, I'm not a fan of most Sumatran coffees. There is an earthiness that bothers my stomach. It just doesn't appeal to my senses either. Hubbard and Cravens, after an issue I recently had there, was very kind to give me some coffee. It was recommended that I try the Bali Blue Moon Organic. I was a bit leery based on my feelings for Sumatra, but I thought why not. One of the best coffee decisions I have made.

I made some on the French Press for Mark and me yesterday. As I opened the bag, I smelled a sweeter smell, but not sugary sweet. It was a floral sweet, combined with a vanilla like aroma. Once I ground the coffee, the aroma was even stronger.

My first taste was without anything. No earthiness. I got a vanilla like, but not like an opened bottle of vanilla. It was a faint taste. There was no earthy quality to it like the Sumatras. This is a smooth coffee, full of body. For the second cup, I added the usual Splenda and Soy Creamer. Still tasted what I did before, and felt the soy actually enhanced what I experienced.

Mark and I both smiled as we drank this. I think it's a good sign when the people drinking the coffee are smiling about it. Right? We agreed this is one amazing coffee.

Now on our Cher scale of strength, this is not a strong coffee from a taste standpoint. It's a mellow one. Imainge Cher's character in Mask, giving her son, played my Eric Stolz a motherly hug. I felt a hug with this coffee. It's a 4.5 on the strength scale(1-10).  Yup...I love this coffee. I give it high marks. I expect to see this one on my year end list of best coffees for 2014.

Well done Hubbard and Cravens. This coffee is a Bali High!

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment