Saturday, March 1, 2014

Coffee Memory: The Roaster

If you haven’t been to a coffee drying area or roasting facility, you need to do this once in your life. It’s one of those experiences which your senses will thank you for. There is nothing spectacular looking about any of these facilities(usually).
When I was in Costa Rica in 2008, we went to a local coffee cooperative, and outside the coffee beans were drying in the sun. What struck me first was the visual sensation. All these beans laid flat, looking green. I hadn’t really experienced coffee in this form. Typically I had seen it as dark beans, or what was poured into my cup. This was visually fascinating to me, and I took it all in.
The second part was the aroma of the place. The smell came from inside where the coffee was being roasted. When you walking into a roasting facility, you are hit immediately with a strong coffee smell.  It almost knocks you out, because it’s so strong. Now, not only could we see the dark colored beans I was used to, but the smell of warm coffee permeated everywhere. I wanted a cup of coffee right then and there.
When you watch coffee being roasted, you are seeing the roaster take care to make sure he isn’t over or under roasting the coffee. He/she is keeping an eye on the color, listening for first crack, and constantly checking the coffee in the roaster. It’s like watching an artist create a painting or sculpture. Again, what a great scene for the eyes.
Finally, we got to sample some of the coffee. Later we would go through a cupping, but in this instance, we were given a cup of coffee. With everything I experienced, I had a greater appreciation for what was in the cup. I took my time, smelled the coffee, and then took some gentle sips, so I could get a full sense of the flavor. I must have done something wrong, because I wanted seconds….and thirds. J
Some roasters offer customers an opportunity to tour roasting facilities. I highly suggest doing this. Once you do, you will never drink a cup of coffee the same way.
Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment