Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Company Spotlight: Just Coffee Cooperative

About a year ago I was introduced to Just Coffee Cooperative, based in Madison, WI. To be honest, I don't know how I stumbled upon them, but once I saw the "Runner's High" coffee, I knew it was a combination of the two things I love: running and coffee. I ordered some, and fell in love with their coffee. Just who is Just Coffee Cooperative though?

Originally Just Coffee was started out of a concern for the farmers in Chiapas, Mexico. At a time when coffee prices were extremely low, the folks at Just Coffee thought they would introduce the coffee to others, in hopes area roasters would roast and sell the farmers coffees. Seems that was a more difficult process than originally thought, and the members of the cooperative realized they would have to be the ones to roast and sell the coffee.

One thing Just Coffee strives NOT to be is the typical business. Bicycle delivery, appearing at farmers markets, protests, etc. are not the standard operating procedures. The one thing Just Coffee is most proud of is their transparency when it comes to the coffee they sell.

You can trace everything about the coffee you purchase from them. You will learn where the coffee comes from, the price paid for the coffee by Just Coffee, balance sheet for the cooperative. Pretty much anything you want to know about the coffee and the company, Just Coffee shares with its customers.  Coffee can be a mysterious business when it comes to providing information on prices paid to farmers. Trust me the farmers are not millionaires. I know as I read about the coffee I purchased, it gave me a deeper appreciation for what the coffee farmer has to go through just to make a living for his family.

The best news though, is the coffee is terrific. It would be one thing if this was just another socially conscious coffee, but it's REALLY great coffee. So the reluctant coffee roasters have learned their craft well, and are producing a product that the farmers they deal with would be proud of.

Get to know Just Coffee Cooperative - http://justcoffee.coop

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment