Monday, March 24, 2014

Review: Allegro Coffee Costa Rica Dota

I have written about my experience in Costa Rica before. So I am always excited to have a coffee from the region I visited. Today's coffee is from the Tarrazu region. The Dota Co-op is one of the leading coffee co-ops in the area. It's also one that I visited, and met the farmers who grow for it. Allegro Coffee sells Costa Rica Dota through Whole Foods.

This is a light roasted coffee. When I made it in the Chemex, it almost looked like a dark tea. It didn't taste like tea though. Allegro says this coffee has notes of chocolate and honey. I got the chocolate from it. The aftertaste though had a more nutty, not honey flavor.

This is a very satisfying cup of coffee. I think people get fooled by light roast coffees. If done right, there is more caffeine punch in a light roast, than in a dark roast. That is the case here. On our Cher scale, this is an 8, meaning a typical slap in the face to Sonny, most likely on a night he did something stupid.

Whole Foods carries a lot of interesting coffees by Allegro, and you should check them out. Do what I do though, check the bag for a roast or best by date. In this case I picked one which was best until the end of June. Freshness in the coffee can make all the difference in your cup.

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment