Friday, March 7, 2014

Review: Larry's Beans 3 Moon Peru

The other day I was at the local EarthFare(which is an all organic version of Whole Foods). I saw a coffee which caught my eye - Larry's Beans. I hadn't heard of them, and I looked through the bags to see what might appeal to me. I came upon 3 Moon Peru. As I always do in stores, I look on the package for a best by date. This gives me an indication of the freshness of the coffee. I still had a year, which was the longest of coffee I looked over.

Larry's Beans is the kind of company I like. They are only interested in products which don't harm the planet. So they use only organic, or shade grown coffees from around the world. They are all about being good stewards to the planet.

http://www.larrysbeans.com/business-practices/our-story

I was excited to try the coffee. It comes from the Cajamarca region of Peru, which is a chief growing area in that country. According to their notes, this coffee offers a combination of chocolate and vanilla flavors, with a hint of spicy "earthiness." I will agree for the most part. The vanilla was not apparent to me. It's a medium roast coffee, which I like. They explain they roasted it just prior to second crack.

How strong was it for a morning coffee? On our Cher scale, it was a 6. This isn't a love tap of a coffee, but it isn't slapping the crap out of Nicolas Cage. Imagine Cher shaking Bob Hoskins in "Mermaids" and you have an idea how strong this coffee is.

In the end I liked this coffee, but I felt it had more promise. Maybe if I drank it sooner after roasting? Maybe if they pulled just after second crack? I found I wanted to love it, but in the end I just liked it.

I'll get more from Larry's Beans, because I have a sense they have a coffee, I will love.

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment