Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Review: Coffee Brake Company Colombian Supremo

The coffee house is not always in a trendy area. It isn't always swathed in green and white logos. Sometimes, the most surprising coffees come in places you don't expect.

On a daily basis most commuters who use Allisonville Rd. in Indianapolis, don't know Coffee Brake Company exists. They should. The coffee house sits in a strip mall, between a check cashing place, and a Big Lots store. It's a small place, not too many tables, but you can tell you are in a coffee
roasters domain.

Coffee Brake Co. is owned by Rick Purvis. He is also the roaster. When we lived closer to his place, we used to go in, but now we are further away, and aren't always in the neighborhood. Well it's time to make the effort to head in more often. I stopped by yesterday to look at what he had available. Mark didn't care for the Costa Rican coffee as much as I did, and I thought I should have an alternative for us this week.

When you walk in, immediately to the right are all the roasted flavored coffees. No thanks, I'll pass. To the left is the real stuff. That's what I'm looking for. After a few minutes, I make my choice - Colombian Supremo. I asked Rick when the beans were roasted. He told me last Friday. Excellent, they freshness is still there.

This morning I made some in the Chemex. For the average drinker, Colombian Supremo is what the 100% Colombian coffees you see in the grocery want to be. Of course, they aren't the deal. This is the deal. This is a full bodied coffee, full of flavor. It has a roasty flavor I like quite a bit. There is bit of a bite too it, not mellow.  I felt there was a slight mocha-ness to the coffee.

On our Cher Scale of strength 1-10, this coffee is an 8. Imagine Cher giving Jack on Will and Grace a slap in the face, after trying to prove she is, in fact, Cher!

Coffee Brake Company is 6215 Allisonville Rd. in Indianapolis. I couldn't find a website, but you can like them on Facebook. You may not be in the neighborhood, but you should seek out this place.

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment