Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Coffee Review: Stone Creek's Ring of Fire

This is one of the more interesting coffee reviews, because I find the story of this coffee so interesting. This blog's 2014 Innovator of the Year was Stone Creek Coffee of Milwaukee. One of the reasons I gave them that honor was the way they have educated the coffee public about the science of coffee. Through that science, they have roasted some amazing coffees.

In January, I got an email that owner Erich Resch and Director of Coffee Christian Ott were heading to Guatemala and Costa Rica, not only to visit farmers, but understand more the science behind the coffee. I was intrigued, and pour over every email I got.

Here is a piece Otto wrote on the company's blog about the pH of the soil used on one farm in Guatemala.

http://www.stonecreekcoffee.com/blog/main/1968/Why_were_curious_about_the_pH_of_soil.aspx

As they went on their journey, Ring of Fire was released. Of course I had to try it.

This coffee comes from Finca San Sebastian in Guatemala, and is raised at 2000m. That is about the highest elevation coffee has been grown. It's a much colder climate, and according to Christian Otto, "Colder temperatures cause the plants and cherries to mature more slowly. To be precise, it slows down respiration, which yields to higher concentrations of sugars and acids." Because of the higher concentration of sugars and acids, what flavors does that bring out?

This morning, I brewed the coffee in the French Press. First sip, I got an amazing lemon taste. If coffee could have a lemonade flavor, this did. Stone Creek says in addition to the lemon, there is a melon and caramel taste. The melon is the aftertaste. The caramel is a rich taste in your mouth. In fact, this is a rich coffee.

On our Bean Scale of Strength, this is a pretty strong coffee - 4 out of 5 beans. To be honest though, the smoothness of the coffee almost fooled me, but this is a strong coffee. It doesn't slap your face, but you know if you have had it.

When I started this blog, I wrote that coffee is both science and art. Stone Creek, time and time again prove my point, that the science behind a coffee, can create something that is artistic and really takes hold of your senses. This coffee is yet another great one from Stone Creek. This is a seasonal offering, and I urge you to get some before it's gone.

www.stonecreekcoffee.com

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment