Thursday, January 15, 2015

Coffee Review: La Colombe Brazil Blue Diamond

Yesterday I wrote about a company which sets the bar low for its coffee. Today I write a company which sets the bar high - really high. La Colombe is known for two things: co-counder Todd Carmichael and his around the world coffee adventures, and great coffee. Until this morning I had never had La Colombe coffee.

Brazil Blue Diamond is part of the Workshop single origin coffees. It comes from the Cerrado Minero  region, at 800-1300 meters. It's a Catuai varietal, which was created to be a stronger plant, which could withstand harsh weather conditions. It's a pulled natural process, which means that the coffee went through both a wet and dry process before it was roasted.

La Colombe describes the coffee as.....

Snickers bar, full body, tobacco, layered sweetness

I brewed the coffee in the French Press. As it was brewing I smelled something very sweet. My God, it really did smell like a Snickers Bar. As I took the first sip, I got the immediate tobacco flavor. It wasn't too smokey, but I knew what it was in an instant. The mouthfeel of this coffee has a lot of semi-sweet chocolate in it. This is one of those cups of coffee, that the moment you first sip it, you smile, and you don't want to stop sipping it. 

This coffee is amazing! The cupping notes are simple, but this is a complex coffee, which just tastes wonderful. You want to have another cup, because you want to be sure you drank what you just drank.  

It's a strong coffee. This is a bugle call as the sun comes up. On our Bean Scale of Strength, this is 5 beans out of 5 beans. 

Todd Carmichael's "Dangerous Grounds" serves as a great marketing tool to get you to try La Colombe, but this is a coffee that doesn't really need his adventures to promote it. La Colombe has roasted what I think is one of the best coffees I've had. This company is on my list of coffee companies I will order more from. 

www.lacolombe.com

Charlie 

No comments:

Post a Comment