Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Thoughts Over a Cup of Sumatra

This morning I am in my local Starbucks, having a sup of their Sumatra coffee. For those not entirely clear, a Sumatran coffee comes from Indonesia. I typically find them to have an earthy quality, for lack of a better term. Sometimes this bothers my stomach, but today no issues. Anyone out there have an idea why it would bother my stomach? Is it the acidity of the coffee? It doesn't happen all the time, just sometimes.

I don't know much about coffees from this region. One of my goals this year is to learn more about them. Occasionally you hear about the coffees from this region which have odd origins. These are the ones where a cat or an elephant have eaten the coffee cherry, and the beans have been picked out of their poop. Yes, I know it sounds gross.

I have had one of these coffees. I'll be honest, I didn't notice any taste out of the ordinary. It tasted like coffee. Perhaps it was a bit more earthier than it normally is. Still I'm glad I tried it.

I think we coffee lovers need to experience the different coffees out there. Just as I encourage people to go beyond their comfort zone in life, the same can be said for our coffee experiences. Just don't ask me to pick out the beans from elephant poop.

Charlie


1 comment:

  1. Sumatran coffees get their unique flavors from the wet-hulled method of processing typically used there. And are often over-roasted, if the roaster goes by color and not by sound. In fact, I probably have been over roasting mine lately! Don't know if it's the processing difference or possibly over roasting that may be giving you stomach trouble with Sumatras sometimes? Here's some more good info: http://www.sweetmarias.com/coffee.indonesia.sumatra.php?source=side

    ReplyDelete