Thursday, January 10, 2013

Barista to the Stars

Once upon a time I was a barista, well we didn't call ourselves that. During my time in Nashville, TN, I would at the Second Story Cafe at Davis-Kidd Booksellers. This was at a time that a cafe in a bookstore was rare. Starbucks was not quite the presence it is today.

Our drink specialties were hazelnut coffee and fruit tea. We had regular brewed coffee and other specialty drinks. I was pretty good at frothing milk in the day. We also sold the best Peanut Butter Pie I have ever had - period.

Because this was Nashville, and because this was THE bookstore in Nashville, stars, authors and other celebrities all came into the cafe. A week didn't go by when the late Minnie Pearl would stop by for a "Howdy!" Of course she wasn't dressed as Minnie. To the staff she was Sarah Cannon, and always friendly.

Wynona Judd would sit occasionally in a corner and work on songs. My personal favorite was singer/songwriter Janis Ian. Some of you will remember her from the 1970s for the song, "At Seventeen." Brilliant writer.

Old story of mine Janis Ian always enjoyed coming in when I worked so I could make her drink. She was fond of my drink making ability. One day she and her partner invited me and a guest to their new home for a house warming party.

I took my friend David, who was as star struck as I usually was. We toured the home, and it was all lovely. In her living room, on her grand piano, was her Grammy Award for Best Female Vocalist for "At Seventeen." I had David cover me, as I picked it up, and practiced my acceptance speech. Don't worry, I didn't drop it, but it sure was heavy.

During my barista days I met Ivana Trump, Garrison Keillor, Wendy's founder Dave Thomas(who didn't appreciate my biggie cappuccino joke), Don Henley(who gave me a poinsettia) and Lily Tomlin. among many. I did my best to not be starstruck. These are folks after all who just want a cuppa joe.

I enjoyed the work, though I might not have truly appreciated it at the time(I was too young). This was where I learned how to make the drinks, how to appreciate coffee, and started my life long desire to know more about coffee.

One thing to note....that hazelnut coffee we made? It smelled great, but I drank too much of it, and have learned to hate flavored coffees.

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment