Saturday, January 19, 2013

Mixed Beans Coffee


Have you ever had mixed beans coffee? What? You don’t know what mixed beans coffee is? No, you aren’t missing a fancy coffee term. It’s one I made up in my mind a long time ago. This is when you are at the end of a bag of coffee, and you don’t have enough for that pot you want to make, so you open another coffee and mix it in the grinder with the left over beans. 

An example of this happened this morning. We were at the end of the Tanzanian Peaberry, and in order to make a pot of coffee, I added Ethiopian coffee into the mix. Different roasts, different varietals. Sometimes what comes out tastes great. Other times, well let’s just say that’s when gas station coffee might be a good alternative. Today’s made a good pot of coffee. 

Do others do this, or do they just finish a bag, and start fresh with a new bag, especially if it is a different kind of coffee? I like to think of it as creating a new blend of coffee, which will only happen once, because you can’t really duplicate it. 

 For the more seasoned coffee expert, have I just made you faint? Or are you nodding your head in agreement because you do this as well. Maybe you make an art of it. In fact this could be how blends are made at the professional level, and I am just an at home coffee blender.

In any case, the mixed beans coffee can be very enjoyable. Today’s coffee had a deeper flavor than the Peaberry. No doubt the stronger roast of the Ethiopian took over. 
It made for a satisfying cup of coffee.

Charlie

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I did this a lot last month, when I was roasting different varietals for Christmas gifts . Whatever didn't fit into the gift jar went into my coffee tin for home use. I remember at least one morning when the completely unreplicatable blend was really good :)

    ReplyDelete