Sunday, June 22, 2014

Starbucks and Education

This week Starbucks made news when it announced a educational tuition plan for their employees. Much has been discussed about what Starbucks will pay and what their employees may have to pay. I'm not going to debate the merits of the program, because I don't know enough about it, nor do most of the pundits on both sides of politics aisle.

I do want to talk about about the thought behind it. In an era of layoffs, cutbacks and obscene profits because of those actions, I applaud Starbucks for what appears to be an investment in their people. According to Starbucks employees who take advantage of this are not obligated to stay with the company. This makes it even sweeter to me. I imagine though, a good many people will stay with the company, especially if they see this benefit for what it is - an investment in them.

I wish most companies had programs like this. I also wish more employees would take advantage of such programs. Education is expensive, and I think whatever help a person can get towards that education is a valuable resource.

It's easy to fault Starbucks for many things, but what they do better than most large companies is put their money where their mouth is. They work with coffee cooperatives in coffee growing regions to support schools, clinics, and other vital programs the communities need. They have made an effort to work with American companies, employing Americans to make ceramic ware to sell in their stores. They are good neighbors in their communities and work with area non-profits.

This educational program is a good step. While I wish there more educational choices for the employees to use, I think there is a lot of value in getting into a school(online or brick and mortar) and bettering yourself and your chances for better work opportunities.

I raise my coffee mug to Starbucks!

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment