Thursday, June 19, 2014

Coffee Review: Stone Creek Coffee's Bolivia Cima Del Jaguar

Last weekend we visited the Stone Creek Coffee Roasting Facility, and as I noted earlier, loved it. We wanted to bring some coffee home that we hadn't tried. Two jumped out at us. One was a Costa Rican coffee, and the other is the one I would like to talk about today - Bolivia Cima Del Jaguar.

The Bolivia is a light roasted coffee. Typically I'm not a light roast drinker. I find some lighter roasts don't have enough flavor for me. Because Stone Creek has had a great run of excellent coffees, I thought I would put that run to the test with this coffee.

First some background on the coffee. From Stone Creek:

"This coffee comes from a farm named Cima del Jaguar (SEE•ma del HA•gwar), in the highest region of Caranavi. The farm is approximately 1700-1900m above sea level. As you can infer from the name, this region is also known for the wild jaguars that live there. Braulio Luoque Yana owns, runs, and lives on Cima with his wife (Aida) and three children. (Braulio, Aida, and Braulio’s brother Eulogio are all coffee farmers)."

Bolivian coffee is not well known. To this point, the only Bolivian coffee I think I've had has been from Trader Joe's. I liked that coffee well enough, but would this be steps above that? This is a different coffee. Stone Creek says it's flavors are Date, Cacao Nibs, White Grape and Cranberry. Sounds like an interesting flavor combination. 

I took a deep inhale when I opened the bag. What a terrific aroma! It was as if someone had roasted fruit on the grill, and not too grilled, but just right. 

On the first sip I get a strong Date essence. It's a surprisingly rich taste I didn't expect. The longer taste of the coffee brings out more of the fruity nature of it. This is a Summer coffee to be sure. The fruity nature of the coffee just tastes like Summer. 

This is a decently strong coffee. No, it won't slap your face and wake you up. It's another coffee I've had where it slowly builds to wake you up. If you want a slow wake up morning, this is the coffee for you. On our Cher Scale, this is 5. This is Cher trying to rally the girls to save the club in Burlesque. 

Stone Creek has done a terrific job with this coffee. They have searched an area not known to be quality coffee, and found a gem. This coffee was a second place in a recent Cup of Excellence competition. Kudos to them for getting their hands on it and sharing it with the rest of us.

www.stonecreekcoffee.com

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment