Thursday, June 26, 2014

A Lover Not a Snob

A few weeks ago I was talking to someone referred to me as a "coffee snob." I try not take offense, but I do. I know coffee snobs. Those are the people who thumb their nose at coffee that somehow doesn't meet their standards of what good coffee is.  

In my mind a snob is not interested in passing on their knowledge in a relatable way. They try to show off what they know. At parties or gatherings I get asked a lot about coffee, but I make it clear I am a student of coffee, and don't know as much as I would like to. I'm always learning. 

One thing I've learned is what I like in a coffee and what I don't like. What I don't like....I don't buy. I will from time to time malign Dunkin Donuts Coffee, and I most likely won't buy coffee from White Castle, but I will try all kinds of coffee. The ones I love, I will buy and buy again. What I love...I share.

In the last year I have shared my love for coffees from I Have a Bean, Bee Coffee Roasters, Stone Creek, Just Coffee, Hubbard and Cravens, my guys at JJ Coffee Roasters, my good friend Kris, and many more. The point is I want people to know there is more to coffee than Folgers or Maxwell House, and it is soooo good. 

That isn't a snob, that's a coffee lover.

Charlie

3 comments:

  1. There are so many myths about coffee. And lots of stories are being circulated about the history of coffee. Some says goats found the coffee and some says it has close association with liquor. Whatsoever, I will keep loving my coffee.

    Regards,
    Finn Felton
    Kopi Luwak

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finn, thanks for the coffee. There are a good many myths out there, which is part of the fun of coffee. Glad you like the blog. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are definitely not a coffee snob but a coffee lover Charlie! Sometimes, we don't need to make our love for coffee be visible to everyone just to let people know that we love coffee. What counts is that we share what we know and continue drinking those coffees we love. I am coffee lover, not a coffee geek. I even purchased the best coffee makers in town so I could have my coffee the way I want it to be. There is always a lot difference between doing your own coffee and buying it in cafes.

    ReplyDelete