Wednesday, May 21, 2014

The Cream in Your Coffee

When I first started drinking coffee, I drank it black, because that was how my mom told me to drink it.  She took hers black. My dad put some sugar and half and half in his coffee. 
I'm not sure when I started using cream, but I did, and it was ok. I would alternate between black and with cream. One day I was introduced to soy creamer, and my coffee world changed. 

Coffee snobs typically gasp when they see anyone add anything to coffee. I admit to giving a skeptical eye when I see what looks like pouring coffee in a cup of cream.  I have to ask "What's the point of that?" I've used CoffeeMate, but it isn't a preference for me. It's fine, but I haven't found the right balance of how much to put in. Don't even get me started on flavored creams!

I feel that milk or half and half cover something in the coffee. Soy is different. Maybe because the soy is plant based it seems to meld well with coffee? I simply put a splash in the coffee. I look for color. I don't want the coffee to turn white. I like kind of a dark caramel look in the cup. That's when I know I have what I want. 

I find that soy creamer really works well with the African coffees. It heightens the tea-like quality, and in some cases brings out more of the herbal essence. 

When I first taste a coffee for a review, I drink it black, with nothing in it. I want to be sure I know what I'm drinking. Then, I add. If you haven't tried soy creamer, give it a whirl. Let me know what you think.

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment