Friday, May 23, 2014

From the Chemex: a Difference

Earlier this week I wrote about Stone Creek Coffee's Rwandan coffee. Typically these days I am using the French Press. This afternoon, I tried the Chemex, and not too surprisingly, there are taste differences between the press and the Chemex.

You got a lighter taste, even more tea-like with the Chemex. The Tangerine and Currant notes tend to come through more. Would be curious what the folks at Stone Creek think, and does this match up with what they have discovered.

I already like this coffee quite a bit, but I think it kicks up a notch when using the Chemex.

Charlie


1 comment:

  1. Hey Charlie, indeed, we found this to be the case. With a lot of those delicate coffees (less roast, fruit flavors), I've found that filters tend to bring the most out of these coffees. The Chemex does a great job highlighting a smooth body and giving you those aromatics. A French Press, while amazing in itself, uses a metal filter. That filter allows undissolved solids through - which, for me, get in the way of a delicate coffee (if you were talking a dark roast or a body heavy coffee, like a Sumatra, I'd almost prefer it in a press - as it highlights the strong notes in the coffee.) Thanks for taking the time to write about our coffee! Cheers! ~ Christian

    ReplyDelete