Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Vienna Calling the Pacific Rim

Most of you are familiar with terms like French Roast, Medium Roast, Espresso Roast. I'll admit I had seen the term Vienna Roast, but never thought about it. What is a Vienna Roast?

Vienna Roast coffee is a more prolonged roast than a typical roast. It's designed to bring  small amount of the oils in the coffee out. It's believed that when these oils come out, it intensifies the flavor of the coffee. Some believe this is a difficult roast to.do, as you don't want to roast too light or too dark.

So how did this roast go over with the coffee this morning? Today we had Whole Foods Organic Pacific Rim Coffee. This is from their 365 label, which is usually considered a step below their Allegro Coffee. This coffee is a blend of Sumatra and Papua New Guinea coffees. Usually a coffee like this has an earthiness I don't like, but this was different.

I've had this coffee before, but this is really the first time I've paid attention to the roast and flavors of the coffee. When I opened the grinder after grinding, it smelled like a light chocolate bar. I took this as a good sign. I brewed it in the French Press. When I sipped it, I was surprised mostly at what it didn't taste like. Because this is a darker, but not officially a dark roast, I was waiting for a strong flavor to hit me. It didn't. This was very mellow.

I tasted the chocolate I smelled out of the grinder, but I noticed some floral essences. This floral quality is most likely what makes the coffee taste mellow. On our 1-10 strength scale,. this is a definte 5. Imagine Cher giving Sonny a love tap on their old variety series, and you have an idea how strong the coffee is.

This is a nice morning coffee if you don't want a jump start to the day. I enjoyed this coffee quite a bit. I could tell it's not fresh, really fresh coffee. It made me wonder what this would taste like just roasted. Always leave them wanting more. That's what I took from this coffee.

Charlie


No comments:

Post a Comment