Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Mega Coffee Review

Today I have not one, not two, but three coffees to review....it's a MEGA COFFEE REVIEW!!!


Coffee#1 - Starbucks has a coffee called Breakfast Blend, which we have been trying. Starbucks is not giving a lot of specifics about this coffee, other than it's a light roast, with low acidity, and it comes from various regions.

On their website, they insist they want this coffee to appeal to a "variety of palettes." Typically that means to me....bland. If I want bland, I can drink their dreaded Pike Place coffee....which is like a glorified Dunkin Donuts. So we have brewed this in the French Press, and all in all it's a decent coffee. I tasted a dark nutty flavor, which did not have the usual burnt taste that most Starbucks coffees have. I could tell this was an older coffee. I checked the bag...the "best by" date is June, so I figured it wouldn't be too old a coffee.

They call this a mellow coffee. It is. on the strength scale, this is Cher giving Chaz a love tap on the top of the head.

Coffee#2 - Starbucks Veranda Blend. Starbucks has a "Blonde Roast"which is a light roast coffee. I haven't had this before, but I've wanted to try it. Note to self, don't drink this again. Here is how Starbucks describes this coffee:

In Latin America, coffee farms are often run by families, with their own homes on the same land where their coffee grows. We’ve sipped coffee with these farmers for decades, sitting on their verandas, overlooking the lush beauty of the coffee trees rolling out in the distance. Most times it was a lightly roasted coffee like this one. It took us more than 80 tries to get it right—mellow and flavorful with a nice softness.

80 tries???? Girl, do try again, this is one bad cup of coffee. The barista did a pour over, which in most circles means a pretty decent cup of coffee. At first sip, I tasted a light chocolate flavor, which was soon replaced by a pretty bad after taste. Still I drank it, because I wanted to give it a try. Since it took Starbucks 80 tries to get this right, I figured 80 sips would be enough for me to tell you NOT to drink this coffee. Who cares if' it's strong or not....drink the Pike Place over this. Better yet....get some coffee at 7-11.

Coffee #3 - Fresh Market offers a Jamaican Blue Mountain Blend. Now, Jamaican Blue Mountain is supposed to be one of the best coffees in the world. This was a blend though, so not the real deal. Didn't have the $30 to spend on the real stuff.

This is a light roast coffee, which has a pleasant taste. It has a nice roasty taste, but to be honest, I couldn't tell what the flavors in the coffee were. I've had a few cups, and just don't have this one figured out.

For a light roast, I found that it did wake me up. We'll say it's Cher giving Meryl Streep a bit of a shake in "Silkwood", meaning a 5 on the strength scale.

So there you have it....three coffees. None blew me away....eager to have a coffee really get me going.

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment