Thursday, February 6, 2014

French Roast Review: Harvest Cafe Coffee Roasters

Usually when I drink a French Roast, I taste a lot of bitter in the coffee. Typically this is because the coffee has been over roasted, and they flavor is burnt and overpowering. Today I'm writing about a different French Roast.

Harvest Cafe Coffee Roasters is an Indianapolis roaster. I'm slowly going through the local roasters, and giving them a try. This coffee came via Green Bean Grocery, an organic grocery delivery service. The French Roast they offer is organic.

When I opened the bag, I smelled the familiar French Rost aroma - smoky, dark, roasty. The beans were the usual shiny beans I would see in a bag like this. As usual I brewed the coffee via French Press.

Let me be clear there is nothing unusual about this French Roast. My first thought when I sipped it was, "Where's the burnt taste?" This is a mellow roast of a coffee, not what I expected at all. The coffee was smooth going down. Yes, I tasted the smokiness, but it was mellow. If this were a fire in a fireplace, it would be the slow burning, flame fire. There were hints of chocolate to be sure. How strong is this coffee? On our Cher scale(1=a tap and 10 being a Moonstuck, slapping Nicolas Cage), this is a 6. I was stunned that this wasn't a real slap your face silly strong coffee. I liked that.

In short, this is a really good cup of coffee. It isn't the typical French Roast, it sneaks up on you, and trust me, you will love the surpise. Great job Harvest Cafe Coffee Roasters. I'll try more from them....just not the flavored coffees.

http://harvestcafecoffee.com/

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment