Saturday, January 11, 2014

Your Coffee Dollars and Social Justice

Mostly when we think of coffee and social change, we think about fair trade, and what happens to the farmers and the farming communities. Today I'm going to ask you to think about something else. What happens when the roasters and hence the consumers use/drink coffee from countries which violate human rights practices?

I give you the case of Uganda. Within the last decade conservative Christian groups have gone into Uganda, and presented workshops, seminars and revivals on the "evils of homosexuality. " Their efforts have had direct correlation to legislation which has made it all the way to the prime minister, which would jail, not only LGBT people, but people who know they are gay or transgendered. This is only slightly watered down, as the penalty for gay people in the original bill was death.

There are various roasters who do business with Ugandan coffee growers. Do we encourage them not to do business in this country? Do we as consumers decide not to drink Ugandan coffee if faced with that prospect?  If the answer to those questions is yes, does something like that have an impact which could help LGBT Ugandans?

There are times boycotts work. Other times, they make no difference whatsoever. I can only tell you what I plan to do.

As a gay man, I can't turn my back on my Ugandan LGBT brothers and sisters. I will be asking questions when I am getting coffee, if they know if Ugandan coffee is part of the blend, and I will opt for something else.

Is it fair to Ugandan growers who have no ill will towards gay people? No it isn't, but if enough people rally behind this, maybe this empowers LGBT supports to let the government know that their bottom line is hurting, and it hurts the country's bottom line.

Curious on your thoughts.

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment