Thursday, January 2, 2014

Drink the Folgers!

Folgere isn't a coffee you would expect me to talk about. I dare say, most of you would be stunned that I have had some. I am visiting Mark's family for the New Year, and this is what they have in the house. Mark's mother frequently feels bad that she serves this to me. I make it very clear, that I am happy with any coffee she serves.

True, I don't like Folgers. In fact, I don't like any pre-packaged ground coffee. Freshness is not part of this coffee. As a result the coffee tastes stale. Of course when you make stale coffee, in a drip coffee maker, and let it sit, well, most of you know what that does to the coffee. I think a good gift would be a French Press for her. At least then the Folgers has a fighting chance to be ok.

The main point of this post though is to talk about etiquette. When you are served coffee, politely take it. Don't be a snob. Your host/hostess may like the coffee, and you are being rude if you are thumbing your nose at their coffee. I don't want anyone host/hostess to apologize for the coffee they serve. If all you do is nurse a cup of coffee, do, but don't you dare make someone feel bad for making coffee.

Not everyone has a home roaster. Not everyone can get a nice bag of fresh roasted coffee. Some people are just glad to be able to have Folgers in the house. So be nice.

If you want to gift your host/hostess with some nice fresh coffee, do so. I would caution though, do it in a non-snobby way, or the recipient may think you are giving them coffee, so you won't have to drink what they normally serve. Again....be nice.

Ok....lesson over.

Charlie


No comments:

Post a Comment