Thursday, January 23, 2014

Drink Local

The other day at work, I was told we were going to create an event, which would involve local coffee people. I was excited, as this was something I suggested a couple years ago, but of course was now being told how it was the bosses idea(isn't that always the case). I suggested some local coffee roasters we could approach to work with, and was told the following:

"Well _______(name withheld) thought the Starbucks down the street would be great, or that shop near you might work."

I said, those were hardly local artisan of coffee, and anyone could get those coffees. The response to that was, "They're local."

What is ironic is we have events with local beer brewers because we want to highlight local craft beers, but when I said there were local coffee roasters who would love to participate and highlight their coffees, I got nothing.

My issues with the bosses aside, going to Starbucks is not drinking local. That money is not staying in this community. A place like Bee Coffee Roasters who live here, work here and grow their business here, ARE local, and should be given the opportunity to thrive. Just because your friends' teenage daughter is a barista at Starbucks, doesn't mean it's a local business.

To be fair, Starbucks does try to be a good local partner in communities. I appreciate them for that. I just think if you are going to think locally, you should do it LOCALLY.

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment