Sunday, December 7, 2014

Coffee Review: New Harvest Papua New Guinea Kimel Peaberry

Hello everyone! As you might be aware, Mark and I have been involved in a move to Providence, RI. We are here now, and I am ready to get back to my coffee life. I appreciate your patience as I get settled into our new home.

This morning, our coffee is again from New Harvest, a Rhode Island roaster. This time, we are drinking a single origin, Papua New Guinea Kimel Peaberry. The coffee comes from the Kimel Plantation. A workforce of over 400 people live on the estate and work to provide this coffee. The plantation provides not only housing, but educational and medical facilities. They use and maintain clean water in the area. This is a sustainably good coffee plantation, which in my opinion gets good marks for taking care of their people and land.

The coffee is a light roast. According to New Harvest:

Remarkable body and a clean cup, with notes of cherry, raspberry and milk chocolate.

When I drink Asian coffees, I often taste a earthy taste that doesn't agree with me. Typically it's in Sumatra coffees, but now and then it appears in PNG coffees. Not so here. This coffee is bright and very clean. The initial taste is a bit of the fruitiness New Harvest mentioned. The mouthfeel and aftertaste is where you get a strong sense of the chocolate.

When I bought this coffee in their downtown Providence location, I also ordered a cup of coffee. I asked about the coffee I ordered, and all the barista would tell me was it was a house coffee. That seemed like a generic term, and to be honest, the coffee tasted a bit generic. This coffee I like quite a bit.

On our Cher Scale of Strength, this is a light roast that will wake you up. This is a 7 out of 10. This is Cher giving her son in "Mask" his wake up call.

I certainly will be finding other Ocean State roasters, but again I am recommending you give New Harvest a try if you haven't.

www.newharvestcoffee.com

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment