Sunday, December 21, 2014

Coffee Review: Coffee Exchange Mel's Private Stock Decaf

I was all set to talk about the coffees I loved over the year, and then I had one more entry to really think about. As you know I had a heart attack in July, so my coffee consumption is augmented by decaf. The problem is finding decaf that actually tastes like coffee. We can put a man on the moon, hack our way to stopping films from being shown, but we can't get decaf to taste like coffee???

Well.....I found a decaf that I think comes REALLY close to the coffee taste.

Coffee Exchange in Providence has been around for 30 years. They are one of the few coffee roasters in Rhode Island. By the looks of my two visits to their store, they are very popular. One thing to note, and I like this. Coffee Exchange has WiFi; however, on Saturdays between 10a-5p, they turn it off, due to the busy nature of the store. Kudos to them.

I was trying to decide which coffee to purchase, and Nicola helped me. He is very knowledgable about the coffee, and I trusted his judgement(for knowing him all of a few seconds). I bought a Peruvian coffee and Mel's Private Stock Decaf.

Here is the backstory on this decaf from Coffee Exchange:

During the late '70s, early '80s Mel, Rose, Charlie and Bill Fishbein were in another (cookware) business. We sold coffee by the bean, but there wasn't a whole lot of decaf available. All the decaf that was available seemed to taste like decaf. And Sanka. So with a couple of Chemex automatics, a half dozen clipboards, and a supply of what was available in Swiss Water Process decaffeinated coffees, Mel began blending coffee in his basement. The Goal: find a decaf that tasted like "REAL" coffee. The Result, (after five years of testing): Mel’s Private Stock - Decaffeinated™. Mel's has been our decaf house blend ever since, brewed daily 30 years at Coffee Exchange.

I asked Nicola what kinds of coffee are used in this blend. He told me this is a closely guarded secret and couldn't be shared. He did offer info on the various roasts used. It appears there is a mixture of lighter and a more Vienna Roast in the mix. He told me many decafs are french roasted and it spoils the coffee flavor people want. 

I brought the beans home, and made some with the French Press. Secret or not, this is a decaf that tastes like real coffee. It has a nice body, hints of chocolate, and no burnt taste to it. This is a smooth cup of java. I loved this decaf. Mel did an outstanding job, and this is one of those decafs that if you served, people would be hard pressed to know it was decaf. 

Did I mention this is an outstanding decaf?

If you need to lessen caffeine in your life, I recommend buy Mel's Private Stock. I promise you won't be disappointed. 

http://www.sustainablecoffee.com

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment