Sunday, December 14, 2014

Coffee Review: George Howell Coffee Costa Rica Tarrazu

I first heard about George Howell two years ago when I prepped for my first CoffeeCon. To remind everyone George Howell is a true pioneer in specialty coffee. He founded the Coffee Connection in Cambridge, MA in 1974. His business grew, until he sold the cafes to Starbucks. He has spent a lifetime roasting, brewing, studying and talking coffee for decades. I had to honor to listen to him at the 2013 CoffeeCon and was blown away.

So as I was buying coffee the other day, I saw George Howell Coffee and knew I had to try it. It's a bit intimidating to review coffee from someone I consider a master, but here it goes.....

I chose the Costa Rican on purpose, as I have great fondness for the coffee there, and have spent time in the region with the farmers. According to George Howell:

Sweet, medium to full bodied lively yet smooth coffee with a fine milk chocolate and nutty nougat flavor with a dash of fruit suggesting peach. A light roast coffee perfect for drip.

We didn't use the drip, we used the French Press. So here is what I found. There is quite a bit of chocolate in this coffee. It's not a dark chocolate, very much the milk chocolate indicated. The gives the coffee a very smooth taste. There's nothing bitter about it at all. The peach part is vague, but you can get a hint of it. I actually tasted a more apricot taste. There is a bit of tea-like quality to this coffee. Mark was concerned that it was brewed to weak, but I explained a light roast won't have a dark color in the cup. This is one of the best coffees I've had from Tarrazu. Howell has done an outstanding job with it.

Don't let the smooth taste fool you. This coffee packs a punch and will wake you up. On our Cher Scale of Strength, this is a 10. Cher is slapping the HELL out of Nicolas Cage and telling him to "Snap out of it!!!"

Mr. Howell can add more to his already impressive coffee resume with this coffee. Well done.

www.georgehowellcoffee.com

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment