Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Coffee Review: Hubbard and Cravens House Decaf

It's been a difficult time finding a decaf that I like and would use on a regular basis. Heart disease now limits my cups of regular coffee to two a day, but I can have more decaf. The problem I find with decaf is that it usually tastes like pretend coffee. I get hints of coffee, but otherwise, I don't feel like I'm truly drinking a cup of coffee.

Last Saturday a friend and I went to Hubbard and Cravens for quick coffees to go. I got their House Decaf. On their website, here is how Hubbard and Cravens describes this decaf...

"Lively and flavorful, this is our house blend of top quality Central American and Indonesian coffees. It's rich and full-bodied, spicy with hints of nuts and fruit."

I took a sip, and immediately I was hit with the spicy part. The mouthfeel was more fruity that nutty, but I got a lot of the spice. I was surprised by this. The roast was darker I believe, because it tasted like a dark roast, and in this case I liked it. There was nothing pretend about this. This really tasted like coffee. To be fair I had one cup. The true test is when I buy a bag and give it a try at home. Still this was a tasty decaf, and if I had a blindfold on, I might think it was a regular cup of coffee. Well done H and C.

Two things to note about my visit. First, I don't know who does the training in the Carmel, IN location, but that you for teaching your people, that when a person asks for room for cream, there is, in fact, room for cream. Starbucks is notorious for handing me a to go, where the coffee is spilling through the lid, because they put in coffee, and used cream to fill it to the top, and beyond, 

Second, I'm curious about the temperature of the coffee they are serving. Both my friend and I felt the coffee was too hot. If it isn't the coffee, maybe you need thicker cups. Our fingers, even with the sleeve, were getting too hot.

Next step for me is to buy a bag and see if this can be a regular decaf for me.

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment