Thursday, July 3, 2014

"It's Too Fancy"

I was talking to a friend of mine recently who told me she normally buys coffee at the grocery store. She asked me for some suggestions of coffees she could try, and I offered a few. She told me, "Oh I can't drink a coffee like that it's too fancy."

Part of my journey is to de-mystify coffee, because really, there isn't a mystery or anything fancy about it. The coffee she buys and the coffee I buy are both at heart, seeds of a cherry. People have taken the time to pick, process, roast and package them so we can drink coffee. She uses a drip maker. I tend to use a French Press. Now, there is maybe where the fancy comes in, but that isn't the coffee, it's the brewing method.

Good fresh roasted coffee is not something out of reach for people. For my friends in Indianapolis, the three I have gone to and enjoy are Bee Coffee Roaster, Hubbard and Cravens and The Daily Brake. All have coffee I enjoy. None of them are pretentious(thought the Carmel location of Hubbard and Cravens comes close). Everyone who sells the coffee is friendly, and more than willing to talk to you about the coffee(especially BJ and Andy at Bee Coffee Roasters). Now is it fancy to pay $12-$17  a bag for coffee? I can see that argument, but it's still a better value than the $8.99 a bag coffee(which may already have been ground).

I think the fancy comes in when you order a Carmel, Half Skinny, Double Foam, Macchiato, with Hazelnut, and a twist of whatever. Good lord, that's more complicated than anything.

The more you learn about coffee, the less mysterious and fancy I think it becomes. It's just coffee....but it's really good.

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment