Saturday, July 5, 2014

Coffee Review: Hubbard and Cravens Estate Greats

I imagine blending different coffees is quite a challenge to a roaster. As I've have said before, there is a science and an art to roasting, but to roast and blending different roasts must be a challenge. Today we are drinking Estate Greats from Hubbard and Cravens. This is a blend of Central American and Indonesian coffees.

Information on the coffee is limited, but Hubbard and Cravens describes of the coffee as having citrus and floral notes. This would make sense with the infusion of Indonesian coffee. I opened the bag of beans, and I got the floral essence immediately.

As I said, the blending part of coffee must be a challenge. I will say when I made our first pot a couple days ago, I didn't care for it.  I resisted writing about it, because I usually write after a couple brews of the coffee.  I'm glad I did.

There is a woman at Hubbard and Cravens who got me to like their Sumatra coffee(I'm not a big fan of Sumatra coffee).  She knows who she is. When I asked about this coffee, she told me since I liked that, I should like this one.

What I didn't like at first was the earthiness of the coffee, typical of Sumatra. What changed my mind was when I started tasting more of the citrus, that pushed that earthy quality out of the way. I needed the second brewed pot to help me with that.

In the end I really like this coffee. The citrus gives it a brightness that I didn't expect. If a coffee could be bouncy, this would be it. On our Cher Scale of Strength, I get quite a bit of punch out of it. I give it a 7.5, which is Cher being sassy with Jack Nicholson in "The Witches of Eastwick."

Enjoy!

www.hubbardandcravens.com

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment