Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Coffee Review: Cedarburg Coffee Costa Rica Decaf...Decaf?

Hello Everyone!

I know I haven't posted here days. Some of you know, some of you don't know, that I suffered a heart attack last week, and am now in recovery.  I had a stent put in, and am on the road to recovery. Of course one question which has been asked a lot - can I still drink coffee? Yes I can, but in moderation. I can have a couple cups of coffee a day. So I think I have to make the most of those cups.  I can drink all the decaf I want. I know, I know, not the same thing.

I was given some decaf for my recovery from Cedarburg Coffee Roastery, and I thought I would review it for you. Cedarburg is another Wisconsin coffee company,  a state which is serving notice that they roast good coffee too. Typically Decaf gets a knock because it doesn't taste like coffee. That is a challenge during the Swiss Water Process, because really who wants to drink coffee which doesn't taste like coffee.

What I'm drinking is a Decaf Costa Rican Royal Select. Cedarburg says the coffee is a light roast, but the look of the beans and the taste of this don't indicate that. The beans are darker and fairly glossy. To be honest, I don't know if this is an effect of the decaf process.

I have been diligently drinking the coffee this week, and while I think it's better than a good many decafs I've had, it still feels like I'm not quite drinking a cup of coffee. Now, I don't think this is the roasters fault. I just think when you pull out the caffeine, you pull out a lot of the flavor.  Still there are flavors to experience in this decaf. It's a bright coffee, and I do get some fruity notes to it.

No strength, so I can't give you a  number on the Cher Scale of Strength. This is nice to have in the evening if I want a cup of coffee, but can't have a cup of coffee. So there is a convenience factor.

I would be interested in sampling some of the other coffees Cedarburg roasts, as I have a feeling they are pretty good.

I am slowly integrating coffee back into my life, just a couple cups at a time though. Happy to be alive, and happy to be back in the coffee world.

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment