Monday, June 3, 2013

The Freedom to Create

It isn't often you get to be creative in a retail or restaurant environment. As I am learning the ins and outs of being a Barista, I have been challenged to try creative things with coffee. I was given a couple small bags of coffee, and was asked to try different brew methods, experiment, and report what I do, and how it tastes. In my other life as a runner guy, I don't get to use my creativity like that, so this is a terrific opportunity for me.

I can use Chemex, French Press, Drip, whatever I have at my disposal. I can attempt to create a bolder flavor, or a lighter flavor. Nothing was said about adding, or not adding anything to the coffee like cocca, or another ingrediant, but I might try it. This is how drinks are developed I believe.

As we Baristas In Training(BITs) are beginning to learn, the role we have is more than dispensing coffee or coffee drinks. We need to be able to educate our customers, make suggestions, off advice. You can't do anything like that until you get down and dirty with the coffee.

So the experimenting will begin this week. Should be a fun assignment.

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment