Tuesday, June 11, 2013

"Do You Know What Your Problem Is?"

Today was another learning day on the barista trail. Lattes, cappuccinos and other exotic drinks were on tap for me today. They key is the milk and how you froth it. For most drinks, if you want great smooth froth, whole milk is what you want. 2% is next best. Skim doesn't really froth well, but a lot of people want it.

As I was trying over and over again, a co-worker said, "Do you know what your problem is?" It became a joke, as we went on. My problem was not listening to the milk. Say what? You got to listen to the milk? Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

Here's the thing, coffee making, no matter the science is still a sensory endeavor. As you brew it, you have to be aware of everything. I know, I know, we are used to putting coffee in a brewer, pressing start, and then - POW!!! COFFEE!!!

I not only have to listen to the milk, I have to look at the milk. You don't want a foamy pillow, you want the froth to be much smoother than that. Afterall how can you make latte art with pillowy foam?

Of course that was my next lesson. I have to say the hearts I attempted, looked more like wild onions. Maybe a new category of latte art???

A co-worker in my running life, went to Starbucks to get a latte. When he came back, I asked him how they made it. He told me they pressed the buttons, he heard the milk foam, and was handed a latte.

Here is what I did today. I poured and watched a pour over coffee, to be sure I was doing it correctly. I listened and watched the milk and the espresso so I could be sure I was making a great coffee drink. I tasted my test tries. Some I liked, others, not so much.

Using your senses makes the drink better....trust me.

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment