Saturday, April 6, 2013

Today's Cup of Coffee 4/6/2013

I have long been a fan of Metropolis Coffee. The first time I encountered Metropolis was while on a date. Seems the coffee house was a regular hang out for the guy I was meeting there. The best part about that date was the coffee. While I didn't see the guy again, I formed a great relationship with the coffee. Any time I am in Chicago, I try to pick up at least a bag of Metropolis. This time I got two bags, and today I am reviewing the first of the coffees I got - Falstaff Winter Blend.

As usual, here is how the company describes their coffee:

The flavor is  - fig, wild berries, maple and other earthy flavors.

The body is - full, dense, robust

The acidity is - floral, balanced, succulent


I don't eat figs. I do eat Fig Newtons, but I don't know if that's good enough for me to agree with the fig portion of the taste. I do get a sense of the berries and the maple. In fact, maple was one of the first things I sensed as I sipped this cup. The berry taste isn't a light taste, I think this adds to the denseness they allude to.

This is a very satisfying cup of coffee. I 100% agree with the description of the body of it. Floral? I don't really detect floral.

On the face slap scale, where does this coffee fall? To be honest, this is a coffee, I would like to serve after a fine meal. It is robust, but there is a mellowness to it. If the coffee were to slap me awake in the morning, it would be a 5 out of 10. In other words, I could hit the snooze button and go back to bed for a few moments. If I had a dinner party though, this would be a coffee I would proudly serve.

This is a regular seasonal coffee for Metropolis. They bring it out every Winter. To be honest, it makes me sad Spring is here, because it means I will have to wait until next Winter to have more of this very fine coffee.

Charlie


No comments:

Post a Comment