Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Baristas and Satisfaction

Yesterday it was reported in the coffee media that J.D. Power and Associates had released a new survey on specialty coffee businesses which stated friendly and a knowledgeable staff are a key component to customer satisfaction. In fact, the great service the barista gives is a driving force to returning business.

http://dailycoffeenews.com/2013/04/08/quality-baristas-by-far-the-biggest-driver-of-customer-satisfaction/

This makes total sense. As I read the article, I thought about my coffee house experiences. A good coffee house will create not just a pleasant experience, but it will create a sense of community.  Of course Starbucks is famous for creating the experience where you want to stay, sort of a destination.
I take that a step further, you want the coffee house to not only be a destination, but you want to feel like you a part of something.

Over the years, I have always felt comfortable when I have formed relationships with the baristas or staff. Prime example - back in college, I became friends with the owner of a coffee house across the street from my apartment. I went in everyday. The coffee was great, but I enjoyed to people. The more I came in, the more they knew me.

The owner was a woman who was not only friendly, but she had the knack of making you feel like part of the family. When times were tough for me financially, there were mornings she gave me breakfast. She didn't have to do this, but she wanted to be sure the starving student wasn't too hungry. In short she looked out for her neighbor.

My first job out of college was working for Southwest Airlines. One of the perks was free air travel. I wanted to repay the owner for her kindness during the lean times. I took her to New Orleans for lunch. We flew down from Chicago, had lunch, and flew home. She was thrilled, and I was happy to do something nice for a person who was now a friend.

Granted, not everyone has a special relationship with the coffee house folks. The point is on various levels, we want to feel like we are part of something when we go in. Yes, we want good coffee. Trust me if the coffee is bad, no smile, or happy person is going to get me to come back. I will go back though if coffee and the people make me feel at ease.

I believe the lessons from this survey can be carried through to a good many specialty type businesses. In my life as a professional running guy, I tell my staff over and over again, that anyone can buy a shoe somewhere, but if we do our job and form a good bond with the customer, and provide excellent service, we have a pretty regular customer for life. Seems simple, and yet so many businesses don't get it.

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment