Monday, March 18, 2013

Today's Cup of Coffee 3/18/2013



Today we have opened the coffee I received last week from Second Chance Coffee Company. Their I Have a Bean brand is what they produce. I wrote about this company last week, and their efforts to not only roast outstanding coffee, but they hire people trying to rebuild their lives, after having served time in prison. Pete Leonard was generous enough to ship me some of his coffee - Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Adato FTO. 

I Have a Bean describes the coffee as follows:

Smooth, honey, stone fruit. Aromas of honey and apricot. Buttery smooth mouth feel with nut, malt and honey prevalent. Slightly dry with a clean tea-like finish.

For coffee lovers around the world this region in Ethiopia is known for some of the best coffee in the world. Typically this coffee undergoes wet processing. Wet processing involves first washing off the coffee cherry in order to remove the fleshy material on the fruit. This is one after harvest while the fruit is still moist. This help remove the pulp inside the cherry. the next step removes the mucilage via fermentation. Once fermentation is complete the beans are dried. This lowers the moisture content of the coffee bean.

With the backstory out of the way....how is the coffee? I am not sure if I have had coffee from this region, though I suspect I did, but it sure didn't taste like this. This is a mellow cup of coffee, of any of the flavors listed above come to mind, it is tea-like finish. It tastes like a darker tea, more than a traditional coffee taste. This isn't a bad comment(for those who know where I stand on tea). I enjoy this coffee a great deal. 

It isn't a coffee which will jolt you awake in the morning, but if you want to ease into the day, I think this is an ideal coffee. Add this to the list of coffees I enjoy.

Second Chance is about using the top 1% of beans to roast and sell to the public, I think they are on target with this one.

Charlie




No comments:

Post a Comment