Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Coffee Review: Darrin's Coffee Co. Ethiopian Yirgacheffe

This is going to be a different review, so I hope you will bear with me. I don't often review coffee houses. Pretty much I stick to the coffee, but I wanted to do a twofer in this review.  Last week I was contacted by Darrin of Darrin's Coffee Co. in Zionsville, IN. If you haven't been to Zionsville, you are missing out on a unique experience. It's a lovely village, very quaint. Darrin wanted me to try some of his coffee. Who am I to pass up a chance to give a new coffee house(new to me) a try.

After my run yesterday, I headed over to Zionsville and went into Darrin's Coffee Co.. Located on Main St., the coffee house is one of many charming storefronts in the town. I went through a mesh curtain to go in(which I thought was cool), and inside was a fairly compact cafe. Really nice atmosphere. My only "complaint" was the folks working there weren't sure what coffee they were serving. It took a few moments for them to figure it out.

Turns out I had a cup of the Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. According to Darrin's website:

The sweet flavors and aromas of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe coffee are its strongest asset along with a medium to light body. Light fruit like a melon upfront, floral with hints of lemon grass and a nice chocolate undertone would be a great description of this coffee.

I got something a little different. I got a spicy chocolate. You know how some people put cinnamon in coffee? This was similar to that. I don't believe any was added to my coffee though. :-) This is a nice cup of coffee. As I continued to drink it, I thought it mellowed. Typically Ethiopian Yirgacheffe is more tea like. This wasn't, and I liked that about it. On our Cher Scale of Strength, this is a 7. I would liken this to Cher giving a tough talk to her son in "Mask". It wakes you up, but it's not slapping you awake.

Darrin Marion is the owner, and it's clear he has embraced his passion of roasting coffee. He loves talking coffee, roasting coffee, sharing coffee, cooking with coffee, in short he loves coffee - period. He has several blends I'm interested in trying. I may tackle his Mandingo Warrior or Moor next.

www.darrinscoffee.com

Charlie




3 comments:

  1. Hey Charlie! Hope things are going well, I would love for you to come out to my new shop in Clermont. Things on my site have changed up as well. Check it out! www.darrinscoffee.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Charlie! Hope things are going well, I would love for you to come out to my new shop in Clermont. Things on my site have changed up as well. Check it out! www.darrinscoffee.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darrin, would love to, but we are living on the East Coast now. Best of luck with the new place.

      Delete