Sunday, December 8, 2013

Back in Time for the Holidays

There are times the world gets in the way from what you want to do. That has been the last few months of my life, so if anyone out there is still reading this blog, I apologize. I am back, I have things to talk about, and am going to be more diligent in my blogging. Just in time for Christmas!

Today I want to talk about some coffees which I think are great gifts for people for Christmas, and one that isn't.

Dark Matter Coffee: Warm November Rain - This is a wonderful blend, I got try drink a few weeks ago, and it has stayed with me. If a coffee can be strong and mellow at the same time this is it. There is a smoky attitude to this coffee I like a lot! Dark Matter says there is dark chocolate and hints of grapefruit in it. No doubt this contributes to strong and mellowness I experienced. This is a limited coffee.... www.darkmattercoffee.com to order some.

Metropolis Coffee: La Cordillera Blend FTO. This is a coffee I am sure I have written about before, if not, shame on me. This is not a limited or special blend, but this is a special coffee for Metropolis. The roasters tell you that there is pecan and toffee hints in this rich cup of coffee. Oh yes, but I detect an almost maple aftertaste. This is a coffee you want with a nice Christmas breakfast. Pass the bacon please! This is one of my all time favorites from Metropolis, and you should try it too. www.metropoliscoffee.com .

Starbucks: Christmas Blend. This is the one I will encourage you not to give people this year. In the past I have enjoyed the Christmas Blend, but not this year. As is Starbucks stock and trade, they roast a little too long. Sometimes they can get away with it, other times...not so much. This is not a great coffee. Heck, it isn't even a good coffee. It's decent, but don't your loved ones deserve more than a decent cup? What bothers me most about it, is the stale taste. It tastes like they roasted it in May, and it's coming out now. Some of you may ask, is it fair to compare a small batch roaster to a mega roaster like Starbucks? My blog....so yes.

To be fair, I have had the Christmas Blend in Starbucks, and it tastes better than what I am buying and drinking at home. Who knows maybe they have the fresher beans.

Over the coming days, I will highlight some other great gift ideas.

Good to be back....I missed you.

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment