Monday, February 2, 2015

Double Shot

In December, I was reading The Daily Coffee News, and I saw an article about Matt Viser of The Boston Globe, and his column called "Double Shot." Typically Mr. Viser writes about more political activities, and reported on the Romney campaign for the newspaper in the last presidential election. I started to read his work, and I was hooked.

Viser is a man who, like me, is a lover coffee. He enjoys learning about coffee, and sharing what he learns. One of his more common postings is about how various people in the Boston area take their coffee.

It's very rare for a newspaper to focus on coffee. For a time The New York Times had Oliver Stand write specifically on coffee, but no more. So I am very appreciative of what Matt Viser is doing.

I've had the pleasure of exchanging some emails with Mr. Viser. Yes, I actually wrote a fan email. I'm a coffee geek who gets star struck, what can I say. It isn't often I write to people whose work I admire. I wanted him to know how much his work, and column is appreciated.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/specials/coffee

What I like about Viser's work specifically is he isn't coming from a place of pretentiousness. Sometimes coffee writers can come off as know it alls and snobby. Mr. Viser writes with an everyman attitude, and it's clear he is a student of the bean. He wants to know as much as he can, and take readers on his journey of discovery. In short, he is a man after my own heart.

I encourage all of you to read this column.

Note - If Matt Viser is reading this....you need to try the following: Stone Creek Coffee, out of Milwaukee;  New Harvest Roasters and Dave's out of Providence; and Bee Coffee Roasters from Indianapolis. I promise you will love these coffees.

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment